Monday, August 15, 2011

martha jane's kitchen

of course, you see her plain as day
this room....
neat as a pin, skin smooth 
as this old wood floor,
for years 
scrubbed and scrubbed
her heart a window open to the world
southern hospitality abounds
a favorite apron ‘round her waist
embroidered sunflowers
country wisdom colorful
three owl cries
death is lurking
close by
always 
something cooking on the
stove black as tar
ablaze, wood gathered
from her woodlands wild


could be
blackeyed peas
cornbread
and
chicken and dumplins'

stacked like dinner plates
filled with tasty morsels
a story waiting on her lips
ya’ll come on in
sit a spell
did I ever tell you ‘bout when Olive took a fall......?
martha jane’s kitchen~
sandra m. hagan (c) August 15, 2011


4 comments:

AkasaWolfSong said...

How enchanting and lyrical Sandi!

Did you write this? If you did... well, it's AWESOME! :) It's awesome anywho!

And I agree with the sentiment of the picture as well.

Hope you are having a good week so far?

Love and Peaceful Blessings...

the wild magnolia said...

Akasa dearest,

Yes I wrote this. I am pleased you enjoyed it.

My week is fine so far. Hope you are the same?

Love and Peaceful Blessings to you too!

On Fragile Wings said...

Beautiul poem, I really enjoyed it.
This reminded me of great gran's kitchen only she
was a fiesty Scot.

hugs and blessings
Sharon

septembermom said...

Your poetry brings such a smile to my face. Thank you!!